Monday, November 24, 2014

Thanksgiving

Life Goal: Make a basic children's Thanksgiving Book that tells the truth and teaches what actually needs to be taught.

For now, I use paper dolls/ magnetic visuals to help tell my favorite story: THANKSGIVING! Here's the lesson I've adapted from Harcourt Social Studies book (2nd grade). I modify the words for what I want Kindergarteners to know. Until I sit down and specify what exactly I think is super important, I use this script. 


Also included in this packet are directions on 

  • How To Make Pumpkin Pie in a Cup!
    • We make this in our classroom and then "sail" on the Mayflower over to another classroom who is dressed as the Native Americans. We share food and have a feast :)  Have I mentioned I love Thanksgiving?
  • I've also included a basic "I am thankful for" paper with beautiful border, in both English & Spanish!
  • Also a list of traditional Thanksgiving foods .... and a spot to write the Spanish translation (great for Spanish teacher or ESOL teachers..I used this in Spain).

Read my blog post about when I used these activities while teaching in Avila, Spain! Click Here 

As great as it was to be in Spain during Thanksgiving, nothing beats America around Thanksgiving time.

No comments:

Post a Comment